Prolonged dose-dense epirubicin and cyclophosphamide followed by paclitaxel in breast cancer is feasible

Chau Dang, Gabriella D'Andrea, Diana Lake, Steve Sugarman, Monica Fornier, Mary Ellen Moynahan, Theresa Gilewski, Arti Hurria, Nancy Mills, Tiffany Troso-Sandoval, Roshini George, Mark Robson, Maura Dickler, Karen Smith, Katherine Panageas, Larry Norton, Clifford Hudis

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

6 Scopus citations


Purpose: We conducted a pilot study of dose-dense epirubicin/ cyclophosphamide (EC) × 6 → paclitaxel (P) × 6 with pegfilgrastim. A previous dose-dense trial of FEC (5-fluorouracil [5-FU]/EC) × 6 with filgrastim → by weekly paclitaxel alternating with docetaxel × 18 was not feasible because of pneumonitis (with dose-dense FEC) and pericardial/pleural effusion (taxane phase). Dose-dense EC (without the 5-FU) is not associated with pneumonitis, and dose-dense paclitaxel (alone) is feasible. Primary objective was feasibility. Patients and Methods: Patients with resectable breast cancer were enrolled, regardless of surgery status, tumor size, or nodal status. Treatment regimen consisted of every-2-week EC (100/600 mg/m2) × 6 → by 2-weekly P (175 mg/m2) × 6 with pegfilgrastim 6 mg on day 2. Results: Between November 2004 and May 2005, 38 patients were enrolled. The median age was 47 years (range, 30-72 years); 33 of 38 (87%) were treated in the adjuvant setting and 27 of 33 (81%) had involved nodes (range, 1-46); 5 of 38 (13%) were treated pre-operatively; 33 of 38 (87%) completed all chemotherapy as planned; the remaining patients (13%) had treatment modifications for toxicity. Febrile neutropenia occurred in 6 of 38 patients (16 %) and only during EC. There were 12 hospitalizations in 9 of 38 patients (24%) enrolled. Conclusion: Dose-dense every-2-week EC × 6 → P × 6 with pegfilgrastim is feasible based on our prospective definition.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)418-424
Number of pages7
JournalClinical Breast Cancer
Issue number5
StatePublished - Oct 1 2008
Externally publishedYes


  • Adjuvant chemotherapy
  • Pegfilgrastim

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research


Dive into the research topics of 'Prolonged dose-dense epirubicin and cyclophosphamide followed by paclitaxel in breast cancer is feasible'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this