Laser targeted photo-occlusion of rat choroidal neovascularization without collateral damage

Hirokazu Nishiwaki, Ran Zeimer, Morton F. Goldberg, Salvatore A. D'Anna, Stanley A. Vinores, Rhonda Grebe

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

13 Scopus citations


Laser targeted photo-occlusion (LTO) is a novel method being developed to treat choroidal neovascular membranes (CNV) in age-related and other macular degenerations. A photosensitive agent, encapsulated in heat-sensitive liposomes, is administered intravenously. A low power laser warms the targeted tissue and releases a bolus of photosensitizer. The photosensitizer is activated after it clears from the normal choriocapillaris but not from the CNV. Forty-five experimental CNV were induced in seven rats. Five weeks after LTO, complete occlusion was observed by laser targeted angiography (LTA) in 76% of treated CNV, and partial occlusion was found in the remaining 24%. The tissues outside the CNV but within the area treated by LTO showed no flow alteration and no dye leakage. All untreated CNV were patent on LTA at 5 weeks. Light microscopy and electron microscopy confirmed the results in treated and control lesions. Moreover, treated areas next to lesions showed normal photoreceptors, retinal pigment epithelium (RPE), Bruch's membrane and choriocapillaris. These results indicate that LTO may improve current photodynamic therapy by alleviating the need for repeated treatments and by avoiding the long-term risks associated with damage to the RPE and occlusion of normal choriocapillaries.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)149-158
Number of pages10
JournalPhotochemistry and Photobiology
Issue number2
StatePublished - Feb 1 2002

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiation
  • Biochemistry
  • Physical and Theoretical Chemistry


Dive into the research topics of 'Laser targeted photo-occlusion of rat choroidal neovascularization without collateral damage'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this