Impact of Age and Comorbidities on Use of Sacral Neuromodulation

Anna E.R. Faris, Bradley C. Gill, Javier Pizarro-Berdichevsky, Elodi Dielubanza, Marisa M. Clifton, Henry Okafor, Howard B. Goldman, Courtenay K. Moore, Raymond R. Rackley, Sandip P. Vasavada

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

23 Scopus citations


Purpose We investigated the influence of patient age on sacral nerve stimulation trial outcomes, device implantation and treatment durability. Materials and Methods We analyzed a database of all sacral nerve stimulation procedures performed between 2012 and 2014 at a high volume institution for associations of patient age with sacral nerve stimulation indication, trial stimulation success, device revision and device explantation. Results In a cohort of 356 patients those with nonobstructive urinary retention and urgency-frequency were younger than patients with urgency urinary incontinence. Trial stimulation success did not differ by age in stage 1 and percutaneous nerve evaluation trials (p = 0.51 and 0.84, respectively). Logistic regression identified greater odds of trial success in females compared to males (OR 2.97, 95% CI 1.32–6.04, p = 0.009) and for urgency urinary incontinence compared to urgency-frequency (OR 3.02, 95% CI 1.39–6.50, p = 0.006). In analyzed patients there were 119 surgical revisions, including battery replacement, and 53 explantations. Age was associated with a decreased risk of revision with 3% lower odds per each additional year of age (OR 0.97, 95% CI 0.95–0.98, p <0.0001). While age did not influence explantation, for each body mass index unit there was a 5% decrease in the odds of explantation (OR 0.95, 95% CI 0.91–0.98). Conclusions In contrast to previous studies, older patients experienced no difference in the sacral nerve stimulation response in stimulation trials and no difference in the implantation rate. Furthermore, age was modestly protective against device revision. This suggests that age alone should not negatively predict sacral nerve stimulation responses.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)161-166
Number of pages6
JournalJournal of Urology
Issue number1
StatePublished - Jul 2017
Externally publishedYes


  • age groups
  • electric stimulation
  • overactive
  • prostheses and implants
  • urinary bladder

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Urology


Dive into the research topics of 'Impact of Age and Comorbidities on Use of Sacral Neuromodulation'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this