Gestational age at cervical length measurement and preterm birth in twins

R. M. Ehsanipoor, M. L. Haydon, C. Lyons Gaffaney, J. A. Jolley, R. Petersen, D. C. Lagrew, D. A. Wing

Research output: Contribution to journalReview articlepeer-review

13 Scopus citations


Objectives: To estimate the risk of preterm delivery of twin pregnancies based upon sonographic cervical length measurement and gestational age at measurement. Methods: Twin pregnancies that delivered between 1999 and 2005 and that underwent sonographic measurement of cervical length between 13 and 34 + 6 weeks' gestation were identified and a retrospective review performed. Women with anomalous pregnancies, multifetal reduction, cerclage placement or medically indicated deliveries before 35 weeks were excluded. Logistic regression analysis was used to estimate the risk of preterm delivery before 35 weeks. Results: A total of 561 women underwent 2975 sonographic cervical length measurements during the study period. The rate of preterm delivery before 35 weeks was 19.4%. The risk of delivery before 35 weeks decreased by approximately 5% for each additional mm of cervical length (odds ratio (OR) 0.95 (95% CI, 0.93-0.97); P < 0.001) and by approximately 6% for each additional week at which the cervical length was measured (OR 0.94 (95% CI, 0.92-0.96); P < 0.001). Conclusion: The gestational age at which cervical length is measured is an important consideration when estimating the risk of spontaneous preterm birth in twins. The risk of preterm delivery is increased at earlier gestational ages and as cervical length decreases.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)81-86
Number of pages6
JournalUltrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Issue number1
StatePublished - Jul 2012
Externally publishedYes


  • cervical length
  • multiple gestation
  • preterm delivery
  • transvaginal ultrasonography
  • twins

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiological and Ultrasound Technology
  • Reproductive Medicine
  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging
  • Obstetrics and Gynecology


Dive into the research topics of 'Gestational age at cervical length measurement and preterm birth in twins'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this