APOC3 Gene Polymorphism and Antiretroviral Therapy-Induced Dyslipidemia in HIV-Infected Children

Ramalingam Srinivasan, Chandrasekaran Padmapriyadarsini, Karunaianantham Ramesh, G. N. Sanjeeva, Devarajulu Reddy, Elumalai Suresh, Ramesh Kumar, Pattabiraman Sathyamoorthy, Soumya Swaminathan, Anita Shet

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


Children exposed to antiretroviral therapy (ART) are at risk of developing metabolic complications. The association between gene polymorphisms and the development of dyslipidemia in children post ART initiation was studied. Children initiating first-line ART were followed for 2 years at the National Institute for Research in Tuberculosis (Chennai, India), and St. John's Medical College Hospital (Bangalore, India). Clinical examination and fasting serum lipid profiles were measured every 6 months. Participants were genotyped for the polymorphisms in the APOC3 gene (rs2854116; rs2854117, and rs5128). Changes in lipid levels from baseline to months 6, 12, and 24, and the difference between the various genotype variants were analyzed using a modified analysis of variance test. Study enrolled 393 ART-naive HIV-infected children (mean age: 7.6 ± 3 years, mean weight: 18 ± 6) of whom 289 (75%) were started on nevirapine (NVP)-based ART and the remaining 96 (25%) were started on efavirenz-based ART. Only children carrying the GG allele of rs5128 genotype showed a decrease in CD4% and serum triglycerides pre-ART. An increasing trend of total cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-c), and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol were seen at 6 months in both EFZ and NVP groups, which subsequently stabilized by 12 months irrespective of genotype variants. Genotype variants of APOC3 (rs2854116 and rs2854117 polymorphism) did not show significant changes in serum lipid levels after 24 months of ART, whereas rs5128 polymorphism with "G"allele showed an association with HDL-c levels when on NVP-based ART. Our results suggest that ART plays a major role in normalizing lipid levels in HIV-infected children and APOC3 polymorphisms may not play a significant role in ART-induced dyslipidemia.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)92-100
Number of pages9
JournalAIDS research and human retroviruses
Issue number2
StatePublished - Feb 2021
Externally publishedYes


  • APOC3
  • antiretroviral therapy
  • dyslipidemia
  • gene polymorphism
  • high-density cholesterol
  • prospective study

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Immunology
  • Virology
  • Infectious Diseases


Dive into the research topics of 'APOC3 Gene Polymorphism and Antiretroviral Therapy-Induced Dyslipidemia in HIV-Infected Children'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this