A Phase I/II Study of Neoadjuvant Cisplatin, Docetaxel, and Nintedanib for Resectable Non–Small Cell Lung Cancer

Tina Cascone, Boris Sepesi, Heather Y. Lin, Neda Kalhor, Edwin R. Parra, Mei Jiang, Myrna C.B. Godoy, Jianjun Zhang, Frank V. Fossella, Anne S. Tsao, Vincent K. Lam, Charles Lu, Frank E. Mott, George R. Simon, Mara B. Antonoff, Reza J. Mehran, David C. Rice, Carmen Behrens, Annikka Weissferdt, Cesar MoranAra A. Vaporciyan, J. Jack Lee, Stephen G. Swisher, Don L. Gibbons, Ignacio I. Wistuba, William N. William, John V. Heymach

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

7 Scopus citations


Purpose: Nintedanib enhances the activity of chemotherapy in metastatic non–small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). In this phase I/II study, we assessed safety and efficacy of nintedanib plus neoadjuvant chemotherapy, using major pathologic response (MPR) as primary endpoint. Patients and Methods: Eligible patients had stage IB (≥4 cm)–IIIA resectable NSCLC. A safety run-in phase was followed by an expansion phase with nintedanib 200 mg orally twice a day (28 days), followed by three cycles of cisplatin (75 mg/m2), docetaxel (75 mg/m2) every 21 days plus nintedanib, followed by surgery. With 33 planned patients, the study had 90% power to detect an MPR increase from 15% to 35%. Results: Twenty-one patients (stages I/II/III, N ¼ 1/8/12) were treated. One of 15 patients treated with nintedanib 200 mg achieved MPR [7%, 95% confidence interval (CI), 0.2%–32%]. Best ORR in 20 evaluable patients was 30% (6/20, 95% CI, 12%–54%). Twelvemonth recurrence-free survival and overall survival were 66% (95% CI, 47%–93%) and 91% (95% CI, 79%–100%), respectively. Most frequent treatment-related grade 3–4 toxicities were transaminitis and electrolyte abnormalities. On the basis of an interim analysis the study was discontinued for futility. Higher levels of CD3þ and cytotoxic CD3þCD8þ T cells were found in treated tumors of patients who were alive than in those who died (652.8 vs. 213.4 cells/mm2, P ¼ 0.048; 142.3 vs. 35.6 cells/mm2, P ¼ 0.018). Conclusions: Although tolerated, neoadjuvant nintedanib plus chemotherapy did not increase MPR rate compared with chemotherapy historical controls. Additional studies of the combination in this setting are not recommended. Posttreatment levels of tumor-infiltrating T cells were associated with patient survival. Use of MPR facilitates the rapid evaluation of neoadjuvant therapies.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)3525-3536
Number of pages12
JournalClinical Cancer Research
Issue number14
StatePublished - Jul 15 2020
Externally publishedYes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • General Medicine


Dive into the research topics of 'A Phase I/II Study of Neoadjuvant Cisplatin, Docetaxel, and Nintedanib for Resectable Non–Small Cell Lung Cancer'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this