53BP1 and p53 synergize to suppress genomic instability and lymphomagenesis

Julio C. Morales, Sonia Franco, Michael M. Murphy, Craig H. Bassing, Kevin D. Mills, Melissa M. Adams, Nicole C. Walsh, John P. Manis, George Z. Rassidakis, Frederick W. Alt, Phillip B. Carpenter

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

62 Scopus citations


p53-binding protein 1 (53BP1) participates in the cellular response to DNA double-stranded breaks where it associates with various DNA repair/cell cycle factors including the H2AX histone variant. Mice deficient for 53BP1 (53BP1 -/-) are sensitive to ionizing radiation and immunodeficient because of impaired Ig heavy chain class switch recombination. Here we show that, as compared with p53-/- mice, 53BP1-/-/p53-/- animals more rapidly develop tumors, including T cell lymphomas and, at lower frequency, B lineage lymphomas, sarcomas, and teratomas. In addition, T cells from animals deficient for both 53BP1 and p53 (53BP1-/-/p53 -/-) display elevated levels of genomic instability relative to T cells deficient for either 53BP1 or p53 alone. In contrast to p53-/- T cell lymphomas, which routinely display aneuploidy but not translocations, 53BP1-/-/p53-/- thymic lymphomas fall into two distinct cytogenetic categories, with many harboring clonal translocations (40%) and the remainder showing aneuploidy (60%). We propose that 53BP1, in the context of p53 deficiency, suppresses T cell lymphomagenesis through its roles in both cell-cycle checkpoints and double-stranded break repair.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)3310-3315
Number of pages6
JournalProceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America
Issue number9
StatePublished - Feb 28 2006
Externally publishedYes


  • Aneuploidy
  • Thymic lymphoma
  • Translocations

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • General


Dive into the research topics of '53BP1 and p53 synergize to suppress genomic instability and lymphomagenesis'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this